Grinding balls are only one type of grinding media. Grinding media are the means used to crush or grind material (cement, mineral, …) in a mill. Grinding media sorting is performed when the ball load wears out. New grinding balls are then added or full reload is carried out to keep optimum filling degree and hence mill performance.
According to the material to be crushed or ground, grinding media can have
- Different forms: grinding balls, boulpebs (cylinders with rounded tops), rods or even beads.
- Different sizes: balls (diameters from 10 to 150mm), rods (different length and diameters),…
- Different composition (alloy): high or low chromium content for steel and iron balls for example.
- Different manufacturing process: balls for instance, can be cast or forged for instance.
Magotteaux is the only supplier offering the full range of grinding balls in particular and grinding media in general: cast and forged, low and high chromium, balls/boulpebs/rods and ceramic grinding beads. It is usually a specialized process engineer who will recommend best suited media, shape, size and alloy.
He will also calculate the mill’s optimum filling degree according to several parameters such as mill type and size, material to be ground, specific operating parameters and of course the targets of each installation (more tons a day, increased fineness of the finished product, cost,…). As the global leading provider of grinding balls, Magotteaux also offers related services such as ball loading equipment, grinding media sorting …
Magotteaux offers a unique variety of grinding media that combines the following characteristics:
- Size: from 13 to 125mm (1/2″ to 5″).
- Chromium percentage: from 0.5 to 35%.
- Heat treatment cycles.
The choice of media depends upon:
- Material to be ground and granulometry.
- Grinding process.
- Importance of wear mechanisms involved (abrasion, corrosion, impact).
- Factors influencing these mechanisms.
The media can be classified in 3 main categories: grinding balls (4 HiCr + 1 LoCr, each of which has a specific brand name with an individual reference in each particular field of application), grinding rods and ceramic beads.